This group is for anyone who is looking for a fun social activity that challenges your mind and body. You don't need any dance experience or a partner to join! We offer classes almost every Tuesday and Wednesday evening in West Atlanta, but we will also hook you up with the other groups offering classes and social dancing parties in the Atlanta area.
West Coast Swing is a partnered dance that has roots in Lindy Hop (the swing dancing you see in movies and commercials), but has since evolved into a unique style that can be danced to many genres of music, including pop hits, R&B, blues, soul, funk, and more. It allows nearly endless improvisation & self-expression within its structure, and the connection and communication between partners is one of the many reasons people fall in love with this dance. In the end though, it's usually the community that keeps people coming back week after week, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more welcoming, friendly, and understanding community that stretches worldwide!
Feel free to ask questions, we can't wait to meet you!
Other West Coast Swing Dances in the Atlanta area (not run by us but if you go tell them Bonnie and Jerome sent you!):
• Tuesdays there are 2 options:
• Jake Haning teaches classes in Peachtree Corners, I don't believe it is intended for beginners though. Here is a previous event so you have the info and can contact him to find out more: https://www.facebook.com/events/281838839107975/
• Thursdays: "Wicked Westie" in Buckhead (beginner-friendly): http://www.wickedwestie.com/
• 2nd Saturdays: "Swing Revolution" in Marietta: I don't believe they have a website but this link to an event should help you find the basic info and be able to contact the organizer - Swing Revolution 2nd Saturday - Facebook Event
• Sundays there are currently 2 options (both are beginner-friendly):
• The Atlanta Swing Dancers Club (ASDC) just moved to a new venue - Academy Ballroom ATL: http://www.atlantaswingdancers.com/
• There are also periodic special events where guest instructors will come in, I will try to keep you apprised of those as well, although they are not typically intended for beginner dancers.